Why Supporting Obscure Artists Is Fundamental

There are many artists who are not famous, but their artwork is still vital to the community. Just because something is not famous, it does not mean that it is awful. There are many good popular things, but there are mediocre and bad popular things as well. There is a whole spectrum, and not one thing will ever be one-hundred percent great.

Hipsters are stereotyped as people who strive to be unique from the rest of their peers. That want to be special for liking obscure things and discovering trends is something that this group of people are known for. Yes, this group may be kind of corny, but their purpose is important.

Their purpose being, supporting the artists that are not popular. They appreciate the things no one else does, and those artists keep the ecosystem of art on healthy terms. A perfect metaphor for this would be the rainforest: there are trees, and they are very important. However, the little bugs and little ferns help serve the enviroment they live in.

By aknowledging this, one can appreciate hipsters. They may be slightly tacky, but they are necessary for art to thrive in our society.

This is why I support WXNA, or at least the hours that I like the most. I learn about new music, and it helps support obscure artists that need inspiration.

Closing thoughts: I am not trying to convince you to only listen to obscure music, but I would like for you to try to appreciate it. I like a lot of big-name artists, but I try to expand my horizons.

Thank-you for reading! -Genesis Stephens



Comments

  1. I really love the sentiment behind this! I think that what you're saying is super important and that more people should look at things this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really saw the sentiment of hipsters until I read this post. You definitely explained your point very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this reminds me a lot of an article i read by vice a while ago, about how indie artists were influenced by people who wanted to listen to "niche" music. i completely agree and think you made a really cool point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts