The Best Movie of 2018

I would like to argue that Ladybird was the best movie that came out in 2018. Actually, I would love to argue that. There were a decent amount of mediocre movies, and those films slightly entertained me. However, Ladybird was a captivating experience, and just everything that the movie produced was the epitome of what I expected to come out of the film industry this year. Ladybird actually surpassed my expectations.



The first time I saw the movie, I was extremely emotional throughout the entire experience. The main character is a young teenage female (just like myself) who goes through the experience of growing up, as everyone can relate to. When the main character goes through her bildungsroman, she also deals with the fact that she's poor, which is relatable as well. It's not the type of poor where you cannot eat, but it's the type where you can't exactly afford stuff everyone else can easily get. She finds her way around this issue, like I do.

The reason why this film was unique wasn't because of the things that she experiences, but more of the character. How this new, strange character reacts to the experience of growth is fascinating. I found the way that she interpreted love fascinating as well. Another great aspect of the movie: the Catholic influences were very interesting, and it added some flavor to the move.

The most relatable thing in the movie was the relationship that the mother and daughter had. It was known that they love each other, but they clash heads a lot. Teenagers experience this all the time. It seems like I do more than others, but at the end of the day my parents and I still love each other.

This movie hit close to home for many of reasons, but the biggest reason that it was amazing was the authenticity of the plot. Relatable but funny, emotional but feel-good- this movie has it all. At the end of the movie, I sat there in tears from my own personal bildungsroman (which is not even close to being over with), and it made me scared and excited for the future. The part where Ladybird goes to the Catholic church by herself brought me to tears due to the symbolism. It symbolizes her growth, and how she was transitioning into the person she was meant to be.

A lot of the blockbuster films that came out in 2018 disappointed, without a doubt. I saw Ladybird after it came out, and now I am absolutely in love with the story. I used the word "relatable" so many times in this blog, but it is okay because that's what this movie was to me. It just felt like an altered version of me. It was like me, but in a different body.


Comments

  1. An ideal and honest review of something that deserves the attention of young people like us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, the moment she flopped out of that moving car and onto the road because she was arguing with her mom- I KNEW that the film was gonna be good

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts